It is a brand new year, and most of us are excited about the possibilities available to us after the challenges of 2020. Of course, the first thing most people include in their New Year’s resolutions is their determination to get healthier, and this is always an admirable goal. Unfortunately, a large majority of us begin to fizzle out after a month or so and go back to a life that doesn’t include a fitness regimen. With this in mind, we at New Leaf Botanics have some suggestions to create a fitness routine that will help you achieve your goals in the new year.
Set a Goal
Whether you would like to lose weight, gain muscle, or train for an event, setting a goal is the first step towards achieving the results you want. Think of it as having a map to get you to your destination. Without a map, you will have a general idea of what you want to accomplish but no real plan for getting there and no way of knowing when you have arrived. Overall, goals will:
- Keep you motivated;
- Show you how much progress you have made;
- Make change seem possible;
- Make your workouts more efficient; and
- Quantify your success.
And to make your goal more meaningful, you should personalize it.
Personalize Your Goal
An essential requirement is to make your goal your own. By personalizing your plan, you will be more committed to it and more likely to follow through and achieve your desired results. Here are some suggested steps to take when you are establishing your goal:
- Make the goal meaningful – There should be an emotional attachment to your destination. It needs to hold value for you personally, on a deep level.
- Make the goal measurable – Be specific about what you are trying to achieve. “I want to lose 20 lbs” is too broad of a plan. “I want to lose 20 lbs in 4 months” is more specific and measurable.
- Break your goal into smaller parts – Once you determine your overall plan, take the next step, and break it down into smaller, more immediate pieces. Taking our example above, if you left it as “lose 20 lbs in 4 months,” you might be tempted to wait until the 3rd month to get started. Instead, break your goal up to lose just over 1 lb per week. By breaking down your goal into actionable steps within smaller periods, you have an incentive to start immediately and an easier way to track your progress each week.
- Make your goals realistic – Nothing is more frustrating than setting the bar too high when setting a goal. You know yourself and your body better than anyone, so develop a reasonable and attainable plan. Do not set yourself up for failure by aiming too high. There’s no shame in setting the bar low – at least at the beginning. Over time, if you feel ready, you can always step up the pace. Attaining a realistic goal is much better for your body and confidence than failing at an unrealistic one.
Creating a Fitness Routine
Now that you have established a realistic goal for yourself, you can create the fitness routine you will use to achieve your goal. Your fitness program must be as personal to you as your goals are.
There is a vast number of workouts and exercise routines available on the internet. With such a wide variety, you are sure to find something that you like. Keep in mind that you can pick and choose the workout you want to use or even make up your routine. However, as you are putting it together, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Find exercises you enjoy – There’s nothing less motivating than trying to force yourself to do something you don’t want. And why should you? With the enormous number of workouts you have to choose from, there is no reason to force yourself to endure a dreaded task repeatedly. For instance, if improving your cardiovascular health is essential to you, but you hate aerobics and jogging, try a dance class instead.
- Be sure you create a balanced routine – Spread your workouts out over the week. The Department of Health and Human Services recommends a minimum of 150 minutes a week of aerobic activity to stay healthy. If aerobic fitness is your goal, you will want to spread your aerobic workouts throughout the week in equal installments. If gaining muscle is your goal, be sure to leave enough time between weight-training days to give your muscles adequate time to recover.
- Start slow – Create a fitness plan that starts easy and progresses in intensity over time. If you start off pushing too hard, you will likely suffer from injuries like pulled muscles or torn tendons and ligaments. No pain, no gain is not a helpful adage at all. When people experience pain from working out, they often quit. Keep yourself motivated and injury-free by ramping up the intensity slowly and steadily.
- Schedule your exercise – Most of us have hectic schedules, and if we don’t include something on our calendar, it doesn’t get done. Be sure to schedule your exercise conveniently when you are most likely to keep your commitment.
- Mix it up – Even enjoyable routines can get monotonous after a while. Find different workouts to do throughout the week so that they remain interesting. And if you are weight-training, be sure to rotate which muscle groups you are working on by alternating sessions. All of this will result in performing a more extensive array of muscle groups and keep you from getting bored.
Once you begin your fitness regimen, be sure to track your progress. Record the time you spend working out, and if you’re weight-training, follow the weight lifted and the number of repetitions. And don’t forget to take your body measurements at the beginning and then periodically throughout the year. Seeing your progress toward your goal is one of the most rewarding parts of incorporating a fitness routine into your life and will keep you motivated to continue.
New Leaf Botanics: Your Partner in Health
We at New Leaf Botanics are passionate about helping you achieve a healthier lifestyle. That is one of the many reasons we have become one of the most trusted CBD industry names. We provide a complete inventory of holistic wellness products, including our CBD Sport Cream, to help you reach your fitness goals.
There is no time like right now to get started! Make the most out of this new year by creating a fitness routine that will put you on a path to a healthier you. Our knowledgeable staff is here to encourage you in your wellness goals. They can answer any questions you may have about the many products in our extensive inventory or about how CBD can be used as a part of your overall fitness regimen. We encourage you to give us a call or contact us online today!